To promote the 15th anniversary of CNN Heroes, the news network partnered with frequent collaborator 2C 2.0 to create a campaign encouraging viewers to vote on their favorite hero as well as tune into the live gala event honoring those heroes.
Every year since 2007, CNN has honored ten people who have been nominated by viewers. Each of the ten heroes wins a $10,000 prize and the Hero of the Year, who is voted on by viewers, receives an additional $100,000 for their cause.
This year’s class of CNN Heroes are:
– Jenifer Colpas, co-founder of Tierra Grata, which develops energy, water and sanitation solutions for communities for whom these basic needs aren’t satisfied;
– Lynda Doughty, founder of Marine Mammals of Maine, which has provided response efforts, assistance and medical care for more than 3,000 marine animals;
– David Flink, founder of the Eye to Eye program, which pairs middle school children who have a learning difference with a college or high school mentor who also has a learning difference;
– Dr. Patricia Gordon, who operates CureCervicalCancer, which delivers screening, training and supplies to clinics around the world;
– Hector Guadalupe, founder of non-profit A Second U Foundation, that helps formerly incarcerated men and women get certified as personal trainers and build careers in the fitness industry;
– Michele Neff Hernandez, creator of Soaring Spirits, a nonprofit that connects widows and widowers and allows them to heal in a community that understands the pain of losing a partner;
– Zannah Mustapha, founder of the Future Prowess Islamic Foundation School in northern Nigeria in the epicenter of the Boko Haram insurgency;
– Shirley Raines, founder of Beauty 2 the Streetz, which provides food and clothing, hair and makeup services and health and hygiene items to unhoused people on Los Angeles’ “Skid Row;”
– Dr. Ala Stanford, founder of Black Doctors Covid-19 Consortium, which works to bring Covid-19 testing and vaccines to residents of Philadelphia’s minority neighborhoods who are often vaccine hesitant; and
– Made Janur Yasa, founder of non-profit, Plastic Exchange, which allows local villagers in Bali, Indonesia, to exchange plastic trash for rice, which helps clean up the local environment and provide food stability for the community.
“I feel like all creative people find themselves saying, ‘I just want to work on something that means something…’ at some point in their careers,” said Cheryl King, Creative Director at 2C 2.0 in a statement, “And for us, that was CNN Heroes All-Star Tribute. We did not take the opportunity to work on such a meaningful project lightly. Our goal was to create an on-air and social campaign for our friends at CNN that would allow the heart of this event to shine – the heroes. It was a true collaboration from start to finish.”
The Miami-based team of King, designers Nick Ford and Aaron Magee and editor Jesus Martinez designed an edgier look for the vote campaign, in which all of the heroes are introduced, and then polished that up to promote the live gala event hosted by Anderson Cooper and Kelly Ripa.
The vote campaign, which is the first spot above, is a multi-layered treatment inspired by collage art. That morphs into the second spot, which is a more elegant red-carpet look.
“It was interesting when we dove into this collage idea for the vote campaign because it worked wonderfully for the vote spots, but seemed a little too gritty and ‘under-dressed’ for a live event like CNN Heroes,” said King. “In figuring out how that look and style could really translate once we moved into using this super-polished gala footage, we decided to treat it like a person going to the event, and dress it for the occasion.”
“It was a very collaborative effort from start to finish. The creative team at 2C delivered amazing work for the promotion of the 15th Anniversary of CNN Heroes,” said CNN Senior Producer John Dance, also in a statement.
The CNN Heroes All-Star Tribune airs Sunday, Dec. 12 at 8 p.m ET.
Creative Director: Sean Houston
Senior Director: Lara Hurst
Senior Producer: John Dance
Assistant Creative Director: Matt Barnett
Senior Production Manager: Nichole Goralnik
Marketing Manager: Katie Luckhurst
Director of Design: Krishnan Purushothaman
Agency: 2C 2.0
President/Owner: Chris Sloan
Operations Manager: Bob Cobb
Creative Director/Writer: Cheryl King
Editor: Jesus Martinez
Concept Designer: Nick Ford
Designer/Animator: Aaron Magee
Audio: Cesar Haliwa, Andy Stermer, Eduardo Larez