Like everything else this year, Promax’s annual conference had to be canceled when it became clear that large groups would not be able to gather. But the association pivoted quickly to bring members the Promax Virtual Experience, an online version of the content, connection and community that Promax has offered for 64 years.
This year, there’s a great mix of keynotes, hot topics and member favorites that will roll out July 7, 8 and 9. Below are some highlights:
1) Big Keynotes — CNN Tonight Anchor Don Lemon kicks off the week with this conversation with Nekesa Mumbi Moody, editorial director of The Hollywood Reporter. The two will chat about telling compelling stories, holding viewer engagement and igniting social change through marketing. Lemon also has a new weekly podcast, Silence is Not an Option.
On Thursday, FX star, creator and showrunner Pamela Adlon chats with entertainment journalist Whitney Friedlander about her show, Better Things, and about how we can all strive to be better. Later that day, design expert Debbie Millman, host of the “Design Matters” podcast, interviews Mauro Porcini, Pepsi’s first-ever chief design officer.
2) Current Cultural Conversations — The Promax Virtual Experience is taking place at a time when culture is very much in the conversation, and several sessions this week will address such topics as systemic racism, unconscious bias and more.
Following Don Lemon on Tuesday, Vernā Myers, vice president of inclusion at Netflix, discusses how the streamer is addressing these issues and what other entertainment and media companies can do. Myers only recently joined the company; prior to that, she authored Moving Diversity Forward: How to Go From Well-Meaning to Well-Doing and What If I Say the Wrong Thing? 25 Habits for Culturally Effective People. She’s also given a TED Talk on overcoming unconscious bias that’s been seen by more than three million people.
On Wednesday, Jeanine Liburd, chief social impact and communications officer at BET will be interviewed by Vanity Fair’s Yohana Desta about how to have authentic conversations about race.
Immediately following, Pop’N Creative’s Jessica Lane Alexander and Lori Hall will talk about how to move from performative actions on social media to real-life action to fight racial injustice.
On Thursday, Janeita Bellamy, senior brand creative at BET Networks; Eliza Booth, group VP, branded entertainment at ID and Travel Channel; Rasheda Donner, senior manager, creative/partnership marketing and creative, Disney Channels Worldwide; Tabitha Mason-Elliott, partner and head of production at branded content agency Bark Bark will have an in-depth discussion on how to get brave and address social injustice in real and meaningful ways.
3) Your Favorite Sessions — Of course, Promax would not be Promax without the sessions that are always standing-room only, including State of Our Art, State of Design, Art of Title Design, Hot Spots Showcase, Lee Hunt’s Best New Practices and Killer Campaigns. All of these are in store with some new twists.
4) Networking Opportunities — It’s hard to connect with people in the current environment, but Promax knows that one of the most important reasons people attend its conferences is to network. To accommodate that, we’ve included several opportunities for people to mix and mingle. Braindates allows you to post a topic and invite others to come chat with you about that topic. Our Ask Me Anything sessions — which follow the Disrupt Where You Are, You Posted Black Lives Matter, Bravery is Required, Killer Campaigns, State of Design and Art of Title Design panels — allow you to chime in with your questions and comments. If you haven’t already, upgrade to the networking pass to get access to these extra-connected sessions.
5) All-Access Passes — Your registration to the Promax Virtual Experience 2020 also gains you membership to the organization as well as access to the rest of our virtual events this year, including Station Summit, Europe and an ongoing schedule of Virtual Sessions. Tune in this week and then stay tuned in all year long.
See you at the Promax Virtual Experience July 7, 8 and 9!